Life is a beautiful adventure...

I bought a key ring with this very statement (one I still believe in) in March in this year after my first cancer diagnosis and before the second, much worse, diagnosis.

My fight started this year in January when I went in for surgery on my liver. Although the doctors were a bit confused by the scans I was assured it couldn't be cancer, I didn't have the right indicators for it. After being sliced open, as I like to term it, my surgeon realised I actually had a huge tumour (over 2 kg!) which had taken possession of my adrenal gland. Thankfully, having such an amazing surgeon he quickly changed tack and it was removed. I named her Gertrude the Great - because why not?
It was a couple of weeks later that the cancer diagnosis came back, one that took me by total surprise. I guess I'd taken being a healthy person for granted all this time and even with the tumour didn't really believe I could have cancer.

It's a very weird thing looking mortality in the face at 30. Some truly odd questions and statements pop into my head and then usually fall out of my mouth. My friend likes to call me inappropriate, I prefer honest. I've googled all sorts of odd things, asked my friends how to draw eyebrows on, asked my brother would you use still use shampoo on a bald head... or just keep cleansing from the face or soaping from the neck....so many things I never thought I'd have to consider in my life.

I was assured in the first diagnosis that they felt they had removed all of the cancer but it wasn't to be, some of the little buggers were hiding in my liver and my lung and after another scan I was given that tough mortality news and started on IV chemo, some more surgery and who knows what else will come.

My response was very much like my approach to life. No, I've got too much still to do! I've never been one to be told what to do and I don't intend to let cancer dictate this now. When I called another friend to tell her the news she responded bugger, "But you're stubborn. Like, really stubborn!" I understand we all travel this path very differently but for me it's just given me a greater determination to enjoy myself, be myself, and love what I have.  I've refused to give up on all of the goals I have set myself and also encourage those around me to really make the most of any opportunity they get. What have you got to lose?

So my blog begins as I plan to tick off one of my goals...a trip to South America and I leave in 26 days! Better get booking!

Enjoy your beautiful adventure today!

Comments

  1. When I met you in Wellington I didn't even know about your diagnosis, I just thought you were awesome and that you really rocked a headscarf. Turns out I was completely right!!!! Anyway, have a beautiful time in South America (and I'm wearing a very funky agate slice necklace so I'm sending you some good vibes with it!!!) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda, what a beautiful comment!!! And cheers for the good vibes :)

      Delete
  2. Meridee I wish you every success wherever you go, whatever you do. Remember there are a ton of people here that are ready to help- you just have to ask. Enjoy South America. Keep smiling. All the best. Mr Eeles, but you can call me Stuart now lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no I'm not sure I would feel comfortable with that Mr Eeles 😂. Thanks so much for your lovely words, I really appreciate them!

      Delete
  3. Love your positive attitude to life Meridee. Look forward to hearing about your journey to South America and beyond. :) Nga mihi, Barbara (YMCA New Zealand)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your message Barbara! It's wonderful to get the chance to share this with others!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The End.

The year of yes.....

Live every moment