Immunotherapy, according to Meridee.

As those who follow my social media know, I have been able to access treatment in Sydney now. I am receiving an immunotherapy drug which I was unable to access in New Zealand. Since this cancer is very rare (only 1 in 1-2 million people will get it) there is no sure fire way to treat it. Researching a definitive way is a little challenging when there are very few people to test on. We've followed any protocols there were along the way and added in a whole lot of determination and amazing experts who are prepared to brainstorm together to find the best option at the time. Now there's no set route. Immunotherapy drugs are new in the scheme of cancer drugs and I'm a lab rat in lipstick when we're trying out what might work. All I know is that not doing anything has the most certain result. A result I am not keen on.

So a giant thank you to all those who made donations for me to access treatment!!! There are not sufficient words to express how grateful I am. I was stunned and spent a lot of the first week in tears (not something I like to admit) because of the sheer generosity of the people I know, and don't know. We have no idea how much we will need in the end, however what we have collected so far took the stress out of accessing treatment as soon as I got the call.

I've had quite a few people ask me what Immunotherapy is and I feel it's a very good question. Especially since I had to ask the same thing when my Oncologist was first suggesting it. I enjoy explaining immunotherapy, not because I feel I do it well but, because I think it's a rather fascinating concept.

So for everyone who is interested, try to stick with me.

Immunotherapy works with the idea that everyone can develop cancer at any time and most of the time we won't even know we had cancer cells because our immune system, the hero that it is, finds them and obliterates them straight away. It knows these sneaky devils don't belong and doesn't mess around. The idea is that the reason we get cancer to the point that it can be diagnosed is because cancer gets all smart about it and finds a way to hide from the immune cells and then flourishes. It's like a very sneaky enemy invasion where they come in camouflaged, make camp in the enemy's territory and start stealing food from the locals. Then they start to kick them out of their homes but every time the army come they can't find the cancer cells to fight them. After a while the village (organ) has been taken over and the villagers can't function. Yet still the army can't find the intruders.

So, the plan now is for us to give my immune system a boost and a bit of inside intelligence. Then it can get on with waging it's war. I head into the hospital, get a drip plugged into my chest and then a rather underwhelming, clear bag of fluids gets hung up and pumped into me over a couple of hours.

What happens inside is far more exciting. The Immunity Army starts throwing armour, and swords, and guns and all sorts about. They get out and start rallying up extra troops. All the little immunity soldiers are covered head to toe in shiny, silver helmets and and chest plates. Some have mounted horses; others have commandeered tanks; some have even gone full viking, painting themselves in blood and running in fury at the enemy. At this point I hope the invading cancer cells are pooping their little pants and turning on themselves too. Well that might be a bit too hopeful, but at least I hope they're running scared and trying to knock themselves off before my Immunity Army reaches them. Either way my Immunity Army is all pumped up by the drug that's flowing through my veins, like they've just had a hearty meal, a good sleep, new uniforms and there was a truly rousing speech before they went into battle. We shall fight in the liver, we shall fight in the lung, we shall never surrender.......or something like that I imagine.

Now, there's still a slight issue for my blood-thirsty Immunity Army. These cancerous intruders are devious little buggers and they've got all these little tricks to confuse the oncoming defenders of the great land. They're amazingly well camouflaged so even through we can use our special cameras from above (also known as CT scans) to can spot them, poor old 13th Battalion of the Immunity Army may be stood right in front and be absolutely clueless. Unfortunately the Immunity Army are lacking in an aerial force. On top of that the cancerous intruders have a very elaborate code which confuses the intelligence service of the Immunity Army. They might send out a scout and just as it's headed towards cancer the service interprets this complex code and is fooled, sending the scout off in the wrong direction again.

   Smiling as an internal war is waged

While I sit happily on the hospital bed, eating sushi and reading a book, thanks to the immunotherapy, my buzzing little Immunity Army finds the leak. Cancer's code is starting to crack and it's mapping out the intruders' location. They deploy all their forces and ambush the cancerous intruders. There's slaughter and bloodshed. The cancerous intruders are caught with their pants down. They've been making their little invasions for two years and have become over-confident. The Immunity Army are going to take over in a resounding victory, they're not falling for the deception any longer. They have the answer to the Enigma code, the camouflage is gone and they won't be caught again.

I still sit on my hospital bed chatting to the nurses while war is waged inside me. It's no wonder I get tired afterwards. In three weeks time another infusion will start and my Immunity Army will be replenished and ready to fight once more.

This description, of course, is not a direct quote from my Oncolgist. There's a lot less blood shed and horses in the standard Oncologist description. Now my description is out there I imagine it will be widely adopted and I will feel honoured to have helped.

I hope you enjoyed my educational blog and I feel confident you will have learnt something new. Even if you didn't, thanks for reading and thanks for all your support!

Comments

  1. Megsy....l think about you. Bless your god for giving an eternal good sense of being. Live Uncle Bill....xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shout HOoooooAH fight the nasty cells! Am with you all the way. Sending biiiig huuuug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lab rats in lipstick lead the way ....... yay

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Meg. This explanation is going to make all medical text books from here on in! Finally, someone who can explain it in English.

    Hazaar to the Immunity Army.

    BTW - you are awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The End.

Who the hell am I?!

The year of yes.....