The End.

The End. 

This is it now and I find myself slightly lost in how to write about the end. I've done the introduction and taken you through a twisting and turning plot; and I know the story ends because all of ours do ultimately, but how does one write that final chapter? How does one process that it is the final chapter? 

I got told a couple of weeks ago. In fact, I got told I may only have a couple of weeks to live and as usual I've stubbornly disproven that theory. I'm no fool though, I understand my life is now being measured in weeks; and not necessarily that many of them. In fairness I almost died (I'm not exaggerating) about two months ago, so in a weird way I'm still one up. I have a very serious infection in my liver which sent me into septic shock; the intensive care unit; and a very blunt conversation of all the things that could happen that they wouldn't resuscitate me from. I have never been so terrified in my life and I experienced a new level of pain I didn't know existed. 

For Potterheads out there, I've described having cancer as though I've got the invisibility cloak on, but my ankle keeps showing for death to grab hold of, so I have to shake him off. Since this infection I've felt like no matter how hard I shake he's been keeping hold of my toes. Now we're just trying to keep the cloak over my head but he's there making me work for it. I know I'll be travelling away with him in end. 

There are a lot of weird scenarios now. Now I know making it through another week is a big achievement. Small talk is impossible. A stranger mentioned to me the other day that it was almost Christmas. I didn't know what to say... that's really not relevant to me now. I think about people or experiences I'm going to miss, then I realise I'm not going to miss them, although they may miss me. That one blows my mind! How can I know I won't do something I love again but also won't miss it? I was asked to think about where I wanted to die. This is venue picking like never before in my life. And even after selecting a venue there are so many other questions to consider like who you want there, if you want music..... 

I did pick a venue though. I wanted to spend the last of my days around the people I love and care about, that was the most important thing for me. I wanted to feel as free as possible. So I left the hospital to go home to LIVE. And I felt better for it. Amazing what that freedom, love and fun can do for a person. That doesn't change the ending, death will still find me when I slip off that cloak, but life is still my focus now. 

So here's the serious bit. The thank you. Thank you to every single person who has made my life one I wanted to fight hard for. Thank you for making it so full I was never going to be satisfied with how much I got of it. Thanks for the fun, and laughter, the ridiculous, the serious, the tough and the beautiful. It's all been amazing in it's own way. 

Thank you to the strangers who have rallied behind me, followed my journey, sent me messages and generally cared about me despite never having met me. 

Thank you to all the amazing medical people who did all they could to keep me, not just going but, living. No matter how many times it might have looked like we were at the end we found another path. That's what makes this ending so much harder to believe. 

I'm not sure I can confidently say I've accepted that it's so close, I've definitely been an emotional wreck. I've also felt happy and fulfilled and loved. And spoilt. Very, very spoilt. For the first time I have started to feel it's unfair. I felt like I could do the fighting bit, despite how hard it was, but the dying now feels a little unjust to me. 

I don't want to turn this into a "How to Live your life" kind of blog. It is a chance to reflect on some things though. When I first "went public" about the cancer (because my cancer hats were starting to give me away) I commented that you never know how strong you are until you need to be. I had no idea what was to come but I feel I was right. If you had told me what my next three years would be I would have wondered how I could possibly get through them AND keep bouncing back to enjoy life too. But I did. I am, even now. Even knowing the end is near. I am very weak and need lots of help but I still get to laugh and sing and do things I love. 

I've realised how much the simple things really are the best. My medicine is sun, fresh air, dogs, people, fun and laughter. If you make a little effort those things can be pretty easy to come by, even in the least suspecting of situations. This Warrior lifestyle really has taught me to find fun and humour in some of the darkest situations. The humour itself might be pretty dark too but it got me through. On one particularly absurd night a nurse asked me how mum coped with my humour and I told her just fine because she had to. It was about 2am, I was hyperactive with a bag of blood draining into me and developing a list of questions about death. For example: will I be skinnier as a corpse? (I didn't fit any of my pretty dresses then). Or, can you spray tan a corpse? What are the general feelings about motion sensored recordings and coffins? So much I hadn't considered before. 

I've been very specific about language used during my Cancer-Warrioring and that is to continue when I die. I will not have lost my battle, I have won! I have had an amazing life with and without cancer and have refused to let it take that from me. When it takes my body, it doesn't get my spirit. It doesn't get to steal the things that make me explode from laughter or cry in empathy. It gets only the physical part of me, the part we could chop apart, poison and zap without losing the Me of me. If that's not a win I'm not sure what is. 

This is not a "How to" but if I make one request it's to make an effort to live and love your life. Writing as someone whose life is about to end I can tell you it's the greatest gift I've ever had and I feel immense gratitude for the 33 years I have had. Usually I like a quote in my blog but today I'm going to quote myself (if you can't show arrogance in the face of death when can you?). 

As a teenager or young adult leaving the house my parents would say the usual "Be safe" or "Be Careful" or maybe even "Behave". I would always respond to them, "I think you mean have fun!". It's always been my priority in life. So as I write the final lines of the chapter I'm not really sure how to tell, I guess that's all I feel right saying. 

Do as you please; ideally "Have Fun" - it's certainly my meaning of life.


 

Comments

  1. I have enjoyed (is that even the right word?) your writings.

    I've followed the highs and the lows. And now I follow your acceptance for what is inevitably to come.

    Your words are wise: to treasure and love life, to have fun.

    I hope you leave nothing left unsaid and you continue to be surrounded in love till the very end.

    Kia kaha in spirit, even when the body goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have enjoyed (is that even the right word?) Your writings.

    Very followed the highs and the lows. And now I follow your acceptance for what is inevitably to come.

    Your words are wise: to treasure and love life, to have fun.

    I hope you leave nothing left unsaid and you continue to be surrounded in love till the very end.

    Kia kaha in spirit, even when the body goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. when i read this blog this comes to my mind "in times of challenge a warrior emerges", my girl you are amazing and you have been a gift to us all x Linkin Park song I like called One More Light, you matter and you will shine above us all x I wish I had the opportunity to sit with you as find your stubborn nature and sense of humor very much like mine. God Bless you Beautiful xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meridee, this post and your blog are so beautifully written. You are talented and optimistic, funny and warm, and you’ve touched so many people lives with your openness. Kia kaha, and peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meridee. I have not had the privilege of meeting you, but I have read your blog as you have lived your way through the absolute bastard that is cancer. I am pushing hard to find words that are worthy of all that you are. Without knowing you, I know that you are one exceptional human being.
    I know the hope that accompanies the cancer journey and this entry of yours is the first I have read that, with good reason is absent of hope. Beautiful, strong, amazing girl, this end is utterly cruel and my heart aches for you and your family and friends. I truly believe that all that you are, all that you have shared, been through, laughed, written and cried through, all of your adventures and all of the lives that you have so positively impacted and touched, both before and after cancer means that the bright and beautiful light that is YOU will ripple out through eternity. I am so so sorry that it has come to this. Bless you amazing woman as you continue to live wholeheartedly to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meriden i am so proud to have known you. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve been reading your blog through my sister in Law Emma’s Facebook posts and I’d like to really thank you Meridee, from the bottom of my heart.
    I’m sorry for what you’ve had to endure-that the rest of us take for granted. But I’m so happy that your life has been filled with so much love, happiness and strength.
    That’s the stuff of dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an amazing lady Merridee. It has been a privilege to read your words, meet you a few times and also hear your mum speak of you with so much love and pride. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are such an inspiration Meridee. I wish you could keep writing your blog from wherever your spirit soars to after you leave your body. Sending you and your family all the love and light as you do this last bit ♥️

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are no appropriate words......many come to mind but don't quite encompass everything I am thinking & feeling after reading this. You are an extraordinary person, a human who I always believed would soar high and long in this lifetime. You have managed to do that even in the shorter amount of time you have had available to you and I truly believe that your attitude, your smile, and your words will continue to soar no matter what happens to your body. There is no way to contain the phenomenal spirit you have. Your positivity and the incredible influence you've had on people will live on forever!
    I hope you know just how important a person you are to me because we connected at a time when I was fish out of water (not just in a foreign country but also in the process of re-learning who I was and wanted to be as a human being!). I could not have had the wonderful experience I did in Auckland if it hadn't been for you and I am forever grateful.
    I also have HUGE respect for how you've managed this illness over the last few years and how you have lived your life! You are inspiring and I will do my absolute best to live with your words in my head.
    With so much love,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  12. My heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with you Meridee.
    I see courage and kindness and greatly appreciate this amazing person whom I have never met.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What amazing words, and an amazing attitude. I love your words and really do not know what to say. I think you have said it all xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love and kisses to you Meridee, you are just a beautiful soul, I have loved your blogs, so open and honest.
    Just maybe darling the next journey is going to be amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great article. As always! I’m about to start naturelifeaayurveda working on a blog on my website and although
    someone else will be producing it for us, this article emedsshop will be a great help to make sure
    that we’re on the right track to creating successful, engaging content. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The year of yes.....

Who the hell am I?!