The year of yes.....

In October 2016, I sat with my friend, in Bulgaria on my 30th birthday, after a somewhat stressful year, and told her 2017 was going to be amazing, I had decided I was really going to live it. What I didn't elaborate on was my plan for this - I was going to live a year of yes. Essentially I was going to say yes to everything unless it didn't fit with my moral code; that way I would truly experience everything the world was going to offer.

I had no idea what 2017 had in hold for me and in reflection I did have a year of yes of sorts. I said yes, slice me open - twice; yes, load me full of pills; yes, inject me with bags of chemicals.... all because I want to spend as much time here as I can.

Over the last couple of days I've read many reflections from friends around the world saying they hope the next year will be better. Although this year is far from what I had hoped for I have to say there is plenty in 2017 which I have loved. I have re-established old friendships, found new ones, discovered true appreciation for life  (one you could possibly only understand when the end becomes more of a reality), laughed and lived!

While I feel I could say I've had some version of a year of yes I have decided that 2018 is going to be my year to focus on this. I started it on a plane and then in Santiago, Chile as I endeavour on my mini (for me) South American adventure with the same friend I was sat in Bulgaria with.



I intend to find beauty and humour in every opportunity life throws at me.
New Year's Eve was a demonstration of this. Jet lagged and exhausted we got ourselves dressed up and went out to find somewhere to spoil ourselves with a nice dinner. After finding most things closed we ended up on a terrace ringing in the new year with a pizza which we had finally managed to get our hands on. I had a stray dog at my feet and had completely confused the waitress by asking for a cocktail without the alcohol. It was perfect in it's hilarity!




So I invite you also to join me on a Year of Yes. It doesn't have to be anything dramatic, just enjoy every moment for what it is, take the opportunities presented to you and push beyond your comfort zone. Truly live your life and love it!

Happy New Years and I look forward to sharing the rest of this year with you all!


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. Yay! The second person to join me! 😁😁😁

      Delete
  2. Yes! 2018 started with a bang!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad it did Benson! Hope it's continuing with a bang!

      Delete
  3. So awesome Meridee. I will definitely be working on this in 2018- more yes's! I have realized that I don't want my kids to constantly be hearing 'no' from me so I have to work at rephrasing things and demonstrating more of the positive in my own actions. Thanks for the reminder!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes... from me too!

    Awesome Meridee,have fun filled adventures on your South America tiki tour.
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paul! So glad you joined the year of yes too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The End.

Who the hell am I?!